Sunday 22 May 2011

Oh My God!

When I first read the headline, It Is Done, my first thought was, "Oh no, now she thinks she's Jesus Christ!" Who else would take those three simple words uttered by Christ and use it to refer to themselves? Yup, very few people would even try it and it wasn't Donald Trump so, that must mean it was Oprah...

Let's take a look at the original quote from the King James Version found in Revelation 21:6; 'And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.'  There it is. One of the most powerful, meaningful, and shortest sentences, other than, "Jesus wept." But here we have Oprah saying it...sheesh!
Now, I've never been an audience member of the Oprah Show but I do realize that there are many frenzied, American housewives who would attest to the freely given gifts from Oprah. But the only similarities that I can think of between Oprah and Jesus Christ are that both are known by only one name, they are both known for giving "gifts freely", and they are loved by millions of people worldwide. There's even a website where you can become an official fan of Oprah.
While I'm the first to admit that I was a fan of Oprah's pre-millennium, I will also tell you adamantly that I am not a fan of her's now. I recall with fondness the relate-able, non-zillionaris, and regular appearance of the "old" younger, ugly-sweater wearing Oprah. I watched her when I could in high school and enjoyed her straight forward approach when speaking to people. Now she grooms, promotes, and endorses books and total freaks. There are mediums, spiritualists, and life coaches up the kazoo...I can not stand three seconds of Dr. Phil, Oz, or the Wiz! I say 'enough' already, while others fear for people worldwide who might experience withdrawal symptoms when Oprah leaves. In case you are one of those, don't worry, there's an app for that...actually it's a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment